According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), indoor air quality can often be worse than the air outside.
In fact, the EPA estimates that poor indoor air quality is one of the top five leading factors affecting respiratory health in the country. Have you ever stopped to think about your home’s indoor air quality?
- Clean your ducts regularly. We recommend having your ducts checked annually for cleaning needs. Note that the frequency of your duct cleaning may change depending on the number of people in your home, pets, types of filters used, carpet, etc.
- Clean your vents. It can be common for mold to grow on HVAC vents, especially if your system is outside the home and open to weather changes, like so many in Las Vegas. Mold means there are areas of excessive moisture or humidity, ideal breeding grounds for mold spores. Those sources of water, combined with collections of dust and dirt within your ductwork, are problem spots that can cause a pungent smell throughout your home. Keeping vents clean can go a long way when it comes to maintaining air quality.
- Change your air filters. Depending on the unit and your home’s location, it is recommended to change your filter anywhere from once a month to once every three months. Changing an air filter is easy enough for a homeowner to do on his or her own, or can be a quick fix for your HVAC professional.
- Install a whole-house air cleaner, to help keep the air inside your house as clean as possible. These cleaners are designed to help minimize the indoor air pollutants, such as dust and other allergens, so you and your family can breathe easier.
- Maintain your HVAC unit. It can’t be said enough: routine maintenance of your HVAC unit and air filters are key in helping to ensure that your system is clean, running efficiently, safe and healthy for you and your family.
By: Brian Remington of RighTime Home Services, a residential heating, air conditioning and indoor air quality company. For more tips or to make an appointment for your HVAC maintenance or service needs, visit http://www.rightimeservices.com. CA #765074